- No products in the cart.
Did you know that one in three Indian adults has high blood pressure? Did you know that you could have high blood pressure without even realizing it?
It’s not always easy to tell if you have high blood pressure. Because of this, it’s important to make sure you’re monitoring it at home, especially if your doctor has told you that it might be a problem.
Never checked your own blood pressure? Don’t worry. It’s easier than you think.
Read on to learn how to check blood pressure with an at-home unit.
Benefits of Checking Blood Pressure at Home
Research shows that at-home blood pressure monitoring is very beneficial, especially for folks who may be prone to other health problems.
Some of the greatest benefits of checking your blood pressure at home include:
- The ability to take multiple readings over a longer period of time
- The ability to obtain consistent readings at the same time of day
- Possibility to take readings in a convenient and comfortable location
- More opportunities to understand fluctuations and what may trigger them
In a nutshell, regular at-home blood pressure monitoring helps you get a better, more in-depth understand of your blood pressure.
And, you don’t have to worry about the stress of a doctor’s visit artificially spiking your blood pressure.
How to Check Blood Pressure at Home
If you’re interested in checking your blood pressure at home, all you need is a blood pressure monitor, which can be purchased online and at most pharmacies. Most people prefer digital blood pressure monitors because they are easier to use.
Follow these steps to make sure you’re getting an accurate reading:
- Ideally, you’ll measure your blood pressure first thing in the morning, before eating and after going to the bathroom.
- Rest for 3-5 minutes and avoid talking before you measure your blood pressure.
- Sit comfortably, avoid crossing your legs or ankles, and make sure your back is straight and has proper support.
- Lift your left arm so it’s level with your heart, then place it on a desk or table.
- Wrap the cuff around the upper portion of your arm so it’s smooth and snug and located about one inch above your elbow crease.
- Make sure there’s enough room for you to slide one fingertip under the cuff.
- Turn on the unit
- If you have an automatic blood pressure monitor, the cuff will inflate by pushing a button; if you have a manual model, you’ll squeeze a rubber bulb to inflate the cuff.
- When the cuff inflates, the air will slowly be let out.
- Watch the screen and wait for your blood pressure reading to appear.
- Press the release button to release all the air from the cuff.
Be sure to write your blood pressure reading down in a notebook or in an app. Some monitors store your data for you, but it’s good to write it down somewhere else, too, just in case.
Start Checking Your Blood Pressure Today
As you can see, there are lots of reasons to monitor your blood pressure. And, now that you know how to check blood pressure at home, it’s time to start making your health a priority.
Need a blood pressure monitor? If so, head to our online store today.
We’ve got tons of different monitors for you to choose from, along with other tools that will help you keep your health in check, including blood sugar monitors, body composition monitors, and more.