- No products in the cart.
Out of many advantages, one of the major hallmarks of a digital blood pressure monitor is the conviniency that it offers in its mode of operation. Digital blood pressure monitors are great for home use especially if you’ll be taking the blood pressure readings yourself. They make use of electronic pressure sensors that help to measure blood pressure. Hence the display of readings are digital on a screen.
Having a digital blood pressure monitor will help you save your precious time. It will save you from paying unnecessary fees to physicians that help you keep tabs on your blood pressure. While most of them operates often on battery, some models design is for field use and have dual power sources including solar and battery cells.
What does a digital blood pressure monitor look like?
A digital monitor is designed to have a built-in LCD screen that displays the blood pressure readings and an arm cuff. They usually come with a self-inflating cuff that gets inflated automatically as soon as you turn on the machine and the cuff is properly secured. There are even digital blood pressure machines that have special features to provide you with finger or wrist readings.
Digital monitors for blood pressure are a very good option for people who have hearing and vision impairments. Some of them even offer paper printouts that will effectively help you keep records. This essentially makes it easier for your doctor to evaluate your health at your next appointment.
Reasons why you need a digital blood pressure monitor
There are so many reasons why having a digital blood pressure monitor is very important. In the least they make you less dependent on your doctor for the need to check your blood pressure. You can now check regularly instead of waiting for the next time you have an appointment before you know how your blood pressure is doing.
There are also certain groups of people who are supposed to check their blood pressure on their own and regularly. People who suffer from hypertension or prehypertension must keep regular tabs on their blood pressure readings especially when on medication. It could be very advantageous for people who generally go through a lot of stress also to find out they have high blood pressure fast enough. Other factors like smoking, pregnancy and obesity means you will also need to regularly check your blood pressure.
It will be almost impossible to wrap a cuff around your arm, inflate it and listen to a stethoscope counting your heartbeat while still releasing air from the puff all at the same time. Essentially, that is why digital blood pressure monitors are the only meaningful choice for keeping tabs on your blood pressure. Good thing is, you really don’t need a prescription to buy one.
Types of Digital Blood Pressure Monitors
There are two different types of blood pressure monitors. Let’s take a brief look at them.
Full-automatic blood pressure monitors: This type of BP monitor makes use of an electric pump to inflate the cuff. Full-automatic blood pressure monitors are very easy to use and requires minimum level inputs from you. As soon as the cuff is placed on the upper arm and the device is switched on, it automatically begins to produce results.
Semi-automatic blood pressure monitors: With this type of blood pressure monitor, you have to inflate the cuff manually by hand making use of the bulb just like a conventional device. After inflation, it begins to deflate the cuff automatically and the device starts to produce readings after this point. Readings are produced just like those of the automatic device. Semi-automatic blood pressure devices will generally consume less power and are often more suitable for field missions where resources may be lacking.
Important things you should know about digital blood pressure monitors
One of the things you need to be aware of when it comes to digital blood pressure monitors is the size and positioning of the cuff. Proper positioning is very important in order to get a better understanding of the accuracy of the monitor.
You can easily confirm the aptness of the reading you get from your digital blood pressure monitor by comparing it with the reading from commercial BP measuring instruments
Whichever way, it is important to get your digital blood pressure monitor checked at least once a year. At least that would help you ensure that it still retains its accuracy and relevance.
Advantages of digital blood pressure monitor
- A digital blood pressure monitor makes use of advanced technologies and an automatic mechanism to check the blood pressure. Some of them can store your blood pressure readings on the monitor’s memory which makes it possible to review your blood pressure records anytime you like
- Digital blood pressure monitors can help you check your blood pressure level regularly. Meaning you are better equipped with information of how your readings change from time to time. This in essence helps to fight any blood pressure problems fast without wasting any time. You can make necessary remedial measures to ensure things are under control
- These blood pressure monitors are portable and compact with very easy operating procedures.
- Using this type of blood pressure monitor reduces to the barest minimum the chances of human error as the most critical operations are automatic. This makes this type of blood pressure monitors the choice of device for regularly monitoring blood pressure.
Disadvantages of digital blood pressure monitor
- One major downside of using digital blood pressure monitor is that they are usually very sensitive and expensive.
- Digital blood pressure monitors are often delicate devices that require careful handling. For most of the digital blood pressure monitors, manufacturer will provide the service usually. That’s because repairing them is quite difficult.
- Machines are not always 100% efficient and blood pressure monitors aren’t the exception. Even very advanced devices could produce incorrect readings once in a while with certain individuals. That means you will need to regularly counter check your blood pressure with conventional blood pressure monitors in your hospital.
There are few things you should consider when shopping for a quality digital blood pressure monitor. This include accuracy, ease of use, connectivity and multiple readings and ergonomics. While they may be very expensive, they are however worth your due diligence to ensure you get the best possible device for your needs.